Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Assistant Manager (Retail) at HDFC Bank Ltd, Hunsamaranahalli, Bengaluru..

After all the circus that happened over the past 5 months, I have finally switched on to something constant. The huge fluctuations in the past few months was quite dramatic and made life, if not miserable, difficult. Everything went haywire and I kept swapping from one option to another option. I was back to my genes of uncertainty. Uncertainty is one big issue that I confront in my life. Of course, nothing is certain in life. However, in my case, this uncertainty is raised to the power of infinity. I have tried many a times to block this uncertainty by locking myself into something certain like doing a job. Honestly, I still consider my job as a way to beat my fickle mindedness. I do not yet take it as an option for career growth or earning money. My fickle mindedness and the countless options this mind gives me almost makes me go mad and so, I decided to put an end to this. As soon as I gave the last exam of CA PE-II, I quickly started to search a job. And in a week, I found out all the places that had openings and gave interviews wherever needed. There were numerous offerings that I received in BPOs, call centers & analyst profiles. The packages too were quite good. But, it was on my mind that I shall do a banking job only. I always wanted to be a banker. Thats perhaps the reason why I had a change from science to commerce after class 12th and then, after my graduation, I even did a PGD in Banking Operations. I have always been having this core passion of being a banker and a lot of effort has been made my me in this direction, though in vain till now, since a long time

I could attend only 2 interviews for banking jobs. I did not get to know if recruitments were happening in other banks. One was at Standard Chartered Bank & the other was at HDFC Bank. I was selected at both the places. However, I chose to go with HDFC Bank as I was offered a larger scale of operation and work (though a lesser salary)

There was a test to attest the intelligence of the persons who came over for the interviews. It was more like the competitive examinations testing on English, Maths, Logical thinking, Aptitude, etc. I guess, I did well in it. I was asked to wait for the interview. This was something that I liked because the hassle of coming again for the interview or following up could be avoided. The interview was taken by the Circle Head and I was selected. I was told that I shall be called later for further formalities

Things happened quite quickly. The interview was given by me on May 22nd & the offer was made by HDFC Bank to me on 01 June. I was offered the job role of an Assistant Manager (Retail). I was asked for the acceptance so that they could assign a branch location for me. I agreed. And on 08 June 2010, I was asked to join the Hunsamaranahalli branch of the bank with immediate effect. I had to rush to collect the joining kit from the HO in Bangalore. And then, there was a problem. I did not have any formals to wear. It was very awkward. I did not carry any formal wear from Hubli as I was having no plans to do a job. I wore a black shirt, a jeans pant & sports shoes to their office and the HR was astounded. I was asked to change and then go to the branch. I went to the nearest retail outlet and shopped for a shirt & shoes. Later, I went home, wore a formal pant & a tie, took all the necessary items and started my journey

Hunsamaranahalli is about 20-25 kilometers from Bangalore. It is a semi urban branch and is a part of the HDFC Bank's initiative to have a branch every 3 kms. It is a relatively new branch. I was heavily confused on the way to take to to reach this place. I had got the contact number of the branch manager. I called him and asked him the route. I got to know that it is located almost near Devanahalli International Airport. The bank believed that there is enormous business opportunity coming up on the airport road and its better to be there before others recognize it. However, my view of this place was quite different. I sincerely believe that no miracle can make this place business worthy at least in the next 3-5 years. Yet, I recognized it as an opportunity as we could make hay even before the sun starts shining. Thats the mantra for today's business as the world has switched on to such a fast track. Call JustDial and ask them something and before even you disconnect the call, you would calls waiting from the sellers & service providers. I'm afraid, a day will come when you call someone for some information and before even you get the information, you would be surrounded by all the vendors snatching you and tearing you apart. Thats the information era

With this switch from the dreams of 'entrepreneurship' to the regular role of 'Jahanpanaah tussi great ho, tofu kubool karo', I intend to mainly put some more discipline & decisiveness in to my life. I keep thinking and doing so many things that I end up completing nothing. That is one of the biggest complaint everyone has against me. I am a great starter but once the things are set, I get to start something else. With the job, I shall at least be stuck to this one thing which I have to continue and complete each day. The branch manager was quite impressed to see my marks and experience and also happy to note that I was decisive that I wanted to be a banker. Thank God, marks cards and certificates do not speak off line stories. The BM is from Tumkur and was quite happy to see a kannada speaking person join the team. This, being a new branch, had only 4 employees- the BM, the teller (cashier), the authorizer & the welcome desk. With my entry, the welcome desk officer was moved to another nearby branch (Sadahalli). So, we are now only 4 persons in the branch.There are other off roll employees who primarily take care of sales of CASA products, loans, insurance, demat, etc. Now, my task is to involve myself in all the branch operations. Be it offering services, assisting customers, boosting performance, increasing sales, achieving all the targets set for the branch, doing whatever necessary to increase profitability & productivity, etc

I got introduced to everyone at work. Though there was no royal welcome or something, the smiles that I was seeing on the faces of everyone was more than sufficient. The seat that I was taking over was vacant for more than 2 months. Whoever was offered this place denied to work for the simple reason that the place was out of Bangalore and the business possibility would be zero which will be a direct hit on the performance and growth prospects. Now, its time to see how I will tackle this challenge. I know, the world is watching

From 'Vishwas Hai to Sabkuch Hai' to 'We Understand Your World', the transformation of business values, ethics, culture, thoughts, etc has to happen. I definitely do not deny there is a huge difference in the DNAs of these two organizations. Its time to put some in my blood and start the race

10 comments:

  1. Hi! Puneetkumar. Congratulations!!!! Great come back after a struggle of 5 months. I like your spirit. Keep it up & always keep moving ahead despite of any obstacles. And yes when will you learn to keep your mind calm because 100's of thoughts keep wandering always, have a control on them & focus on one task at a time. All the very best. Keep Rocking !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, puneet you have done grate job. you are in HDFC bank aur you left it.god bless you for your future..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi puneet,
    hi this is ravi am working in CUB now i try for some other bank for asst manager post if any vacancy is there plz refer me i eager 2 join hdfc.if u wish plz intimate me 2 d following number
    by,
    U.Ravichandran
    9741499510

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sir,
    I have done my MBA in Finance. And now I got selected by HDFC bank for the post of Management Trainee Retail.
    So please guide me that what will by my actual job profile.It will be a office work or out of office marketing work????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, you would be handed over the JD along with your offer letter

      Delete
    2. How to apply for mangement trainne. I am also MBA Finance fresher

      Delete
  5. what is the salary of management trainee dude?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Puneet,

    Hope you are doing good.

    Actually am bit confused about my career. I have completed MBA in Finance.

    Right now am getting two offers, one from Oil and Gas field as Document Controller and second as Teller in Bank.

    What are the promotion criteria for a Teller??

    Is it like for promotion in banking sector i need to clear some exam or i have to do certifications???

    Hope you will help me....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are several factors for choosing a career and most of them depend on one's goals and aspirations in life. As far as promotion, again, there are several factors. The most important is performance. Certifications help sometimes.

    ReplyDelete