Sunday, 15 March 2015

A Memorable day #together

Written for http://housing.com

7th Feb 2015 is one of the most memorable days of my life. It was my father's birthday and I had been planning to celebrate this day in a great way. However, as I was running a busy week, I couldn't make any plans. Luckily, the birthday was on Saturday and it gave me some room to plan. I started planning in the morning.

I started thinking about what would be the key need to make this a beautiful day. Soon, I realized that it would be to bring the family together. So, I called my sister, who lives in Mysore, and asked her to come to Bangalore. I started browsing for restaurants in the vicinity and checking for availability. Finally, I decided to book a table at 'The 13th Floor' in MG Road. Though the place was far, I thought it will be a great experience for all of us.

It was a big surprise for my dad when he saw my sister reach home in the evening. We decided to head to the restaurant then. On the way, I started thinking about what I should gift him. On thinking, I realized that he had been long planning to buy a suit. I checked with a couple of outlets over the phone and decided to walk in to Raymonds. The decision was symbolic with the company's tag line, "The Complete Man". There is one category of people who desire that if they buy a suit, it should be a Raymonds; if they buy a car, it should be a BMW; if they buy a home, it should be a Shoba, and so on. I guess I belonged to that category when it came to this decision. However, personally, I never have such choices and pick up whatever makes best sense.

It took nearly two hours for us to zero in a suit for him. After all, it was akin to buying an asset which he would treasure for a lifetime. He was excited, and all dressed for dinner. We walked in to Ebony on the 13th floor, which was right next to the Raymonds store, and the breathtaking view of the city from our table added more beauty to the day. As we started our meal, we experienced the love, happiness and bliss of being together. We rejoiced a couple of past experiences, including the famous birthday memory we had 7-8 years ago. It so happened that all of us had forgotten my dad's birthday, including him, as he had met with an accident and was living in my grandpa's home, which was near to the hospital. My sister and I were watching the TV in the evening, and in the serial, there was this scene. Son forgets father's birthday, and mother comes back harshly on him and says, "What kind of a son are you?". Just then, I was like, "Gosh, it is my dad's birthday today". It was already dinner time, and we rushed to the bakery, picked up a cake and a couple of candles, drove to my grandpa's home and celebrated the day. Really unbelievable stuff even today!

Families are such an important part of our lives. They are the motivation to do all that we do.

Home wasn't a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go.
- Sarah Dessen

No comments:

Post a Comment